This very rare photo of CHOW VIII was taken from a book and I restored a high resolution version for the archives. The antique etching below was most likely based on this photograph
ENG. CH. CHOW VIII HISTORICAL INFO
- CHOW VIII was born in China, Oct 1890
- Imported to England in 1895 by Miss Bagshaw
- His parentage and breeder are unknown
- He was the first of the breed to gain a championship title in England.
- Chow VIII stood at stud for £3 3s
- Considered so perfect that the original Standard for the breed was written using his conformation points.
- Though an almost perfect specimen, CHOW VIII was reported to have a temperament that was sharp and changed owners a number of times
- He was sold to Mr. Temple of the Leyswood stud, having first passed through the hands of a Mr. Sprengel.
- Chow VIII was benched at a London show in 1897 and a sensation was caused when he was purchased by J. V. Faber for £100
- References to his date of death state 1905 (15 years old)
BELOW THIS IS THE ORIGINAL STANDARD FOR THE CHOW PENNED IN ENGLAND, BASED ON CHOW VIII
The year of this first Standard was dated 1895 and the first 1906 American Standard was also based upon this historic document below